Geauga County was originally part of the tract known as the Connecticut Western Reserve. The Colony of Connecticut claimed title to the land. In 1795, Connecticut conveyed title to about 3,000,000 acres of the easterly portion of the Western Reserve to the Connecticut Land Company for $1,200,000.00. The officers of the land company decided to subdivide the region east of the Cuyahoga River into 16 townships of about five square miles. By the end of 1800, there were 32 settlements in the Reserve. However, no organized government existed. Geauga County was the second count established in the Reserve. Geauga's name was derived from the Indian name for the present day Grand River, "Sheauga Sepe" or Raccoon River. The county was created by an act of the legislature in 1805. In 1806, Geauga County government was established and the first meeting of the County Commissioners was held, with the first courthouse being a log cabin. The County seat was in Chardon, named after Peter Chardon Brooks, the owner of the tract of land where the town was founded. The first courthouse was replaced in 1813. It burned along with many of the other wooden structures in Chardon during the great fire of 1868. The courthouse was rebuilt after the fire out of brick and remains on the square in Chardon today.